Conversation Starters for Hosts of Couch Surfers
CONVERSATION STARTERS FOR PARENTS/CAREGIVERS HOSTING COUCH SURFERS
• How was your day today? What was the best part of your day?
• I enjoy having you here, but it must be tough sleeping on the couch every night.
• What do you like about staying here? What is your ideal home-setting?
• When is a house a home?
• What would your home be like if you could wave a magic wand and change it?
If teen is opening up and you can expand conversation:
• How are things at your home? Would you like to talk about it a little bit?
• Have things changed there? Something different going on?
• How are your mom/dad/sisters/brothers? Do they know you are staying with us?
If teen says they can’t go home or there are problems:
• I would really like to help you with more support than just sleeping on my couch. Can we talk about resources that might help?
• Would you like to speak with someone about your situation? I have a crisis line phone number that you can call confidentially. (• BWC Contact Cares 1-408-850-6125 • CA Youth Crisis Line 1-800-843-5200 • National Runaway Safeline 1-800-786-2929)
• Would you like to speak to a counselor who can help sort things out with you? Would you like me to be with you when you call for support? (Call one of the service providers listed on service page together.)